Muslimahs4Algeria
Aslam alaykum wa ramatuallahi wa brakatahu ,
This forum is for Muslim women who have connections to Algeria.

NO MEN ALLOWED PLEASE FEAR ALLAH
Muslimahs4Algeria
Aslam alaykum wa ramatuallahi wa brakatahu ,
This forum is for Muslim women who have connections to Algeria.

NO MEN ALLOWED PLEASE FEAR ALLAH
Muslimahs4Algeria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muslimahs4Algeria

A forum for women who have connection to Algeria ,to share and learn about living there life as an expat . Helping other women who have moved there support group

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Setif

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Patricia
Patricia

Female Number of posts : 376
Emploi : mum of 2
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Setif   Setif Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 am

Assalamu Aleikum,

I will Incha Allah be living in Setif as it is were my husband comes from. I have been there a few times now on holidays so I will do my best to describe it as better possible.

It is called a University City as it has I believe 5 or 6 Universities. The areas are described by numbers which I find it funny. 1400 (Mil quatre cen), 1014(Mil catorze) and so on...

There is a famous fountain in the centre ville of a naked woman that was once destroyed but built back again I believe by the french as it is one of the few places where the water is drinkable, so you see during all day people coming with their bidons to fill with water!

They have a huge centre ville with pretty much everything from gold shops (a lot of them actually!), patisseries, clothes shops, fabric shops, you find men sewing on the street (I once did a prayer dress there), there is a huge supermarket with 3 floors they call Superet and you can find anything most imported, but quite expensive I remeber 2 particular things I wanted to buy and was amazed by the price, Haggen Danz Ice cream for 1400 dinars and a bag of brown sugar 780 dinnars I will never forget the number as I was shocked.But the reality is expensive or not is always packed! There is a nice place called Dallas where you have nice shops of imported clothes.They have the famous Turkish Bath, quite a few!
Instead of Money Exchange shops you find lot's of men on the street with bunches of money advertising for you to exchange dinnars for Euros.
Dh toke us once at night in ramadan to see the city and I must say the illumination of the city is beautiful.The shops are open until 3 o'clock in the morning as it is when they make their money as during the day you hardly see anyone out, so the city start's it's "life" after Isha prayer.
And I believe with all the money they have the council could do much more for the city, to improve it. The pavements are just horrible to walk, full of huge holes, huge steps, you are walking in a straight pad sudently huge steps comes in your way, with a pushchair is just a nightmare, you have to basically walk on the road along side the cars and they are crazy drivers!!

I don't think they have much touristic places as I never heard of them. There is just one kind of playground close to the center, but you have to pay to get in (That's one thing I will miss for the kids).

You have hospitals, clinics of pretty much any kind of doctor.

And you have the much loved Setif football team that plays in their kind of premiership.

Hope when I moved there Incha Allah will be able to post more things about the town.

Here's what wikipedia as to say about Setif:

Sétif (Arabic: سطيف‎, formerly Sitifis Colonia) is a town in northeastern Algeria. It is the capital of Sétif Province and it has a population of 239,195 inhabitants as of the 1998 census. Setif is located to the east of Algiers and is the second most important Wilaya after the country's capital. It is 1,096 meters above sea level, making it the second highest capital of a Wilaya in Algeria. The streets are tree-lined with a fountain and theater, giving the town a French feel.[1]
Sétif is one of the coldest regions in Algeria. Sétif is connected by rail as well as the main national highway. It is a university town located approximately 190 miles east of Algiers on the highway to Constantine.

Sétif lay in the region of the Numidian kingdom of Massaesyles. It was near Sétif that Jugurtha campaigned and lost against Marius in 105 BC. Overcome by Marius, he was taken to Rome where was executed in the prison of Tullianum. No remains of this period have been found.
Sitifis was founded by the Romans, during the reign of Nerva, as a colony for veterans. Although no buildings of this period are known, a cemetery excavated in the 1960's seems to have contained tombs from the early colony. [2]. As the town grew, around 297 AD, the province of Mauretania Sitifensis was established, with Sitifis as its capital. In the newly prosperous town a bath building was built, decorated with fine mosaics: its restoration in the fifth century had a cold room (frigidarium) paved with a large mosaic showing the birth of Venus.[3]. On the northwest edge of the town two great Christian basilicas were built at the end of the fourth century, decorated, again, with splendid mosaics.[4]. Although we do not know what happened under Vandal rule, the Byzantine reconquest brought with it a major fort, of which parts are still standing. In 647 AD (the year 27 of the Hegira), the first Muslim expedition to Africa took place. By 700 AD, the area had been conquered and converted to the Islamic fath. We know little of the early islamic town, but by the tenth century the area outside of the fortress was once more filled with houses: on the site of the Roman baths over twelve of these were excavated, with large courtyards surrounded by long, thin, rooms.[5]. In the mid-eleventh century this development stopped abruptly, and a defensive wall was built around the city. The historian Leo Africanus reports that a major wave of destruction followed the invasion of the Banu Hillal shortly thereafter. Nothing more is known of Sétif until the ruins of the town were used by the French army, who built their own fortress on the site in 1848, using the line of the medieval city wall and the Byzantine fortress.

The massacre of Sétif
Main article: Setif massacre
On 8 May 1945, the day of the formal end of World War II in Europe, an uprising against the occupying French forces in Sétif and the nearby towns Guelma and Kherrata resulted in the deaths of 104[1] pieds-noirs. The uprising was suppressed through what is now known as the Sétif massacre. Estimates of Algerian casualties vary widely from 2,000 to 40,000.

Economy
The local economy deals both with trade and industries. The trade is mainly in grain and livestock from the surrounding region. Locally produced wheat is processed by local factories to produce semolina, couscous and noodles. Other industries are woodworking, manufacture of carpets and metal handicrafts. Zinc is extracted from nearby deposits and there are hydroelectric development to the north. It has become the commercial center of a region where textiles are made, phosphates are mined and cereals grown. A large amusement park is located in the center of the city where the city Zoo can be found.

Climate
Because of Sétif's location on the High Plateaus at an elevation of 1,096 metres, it is one of the coldest regions during winter in Algeria. The Wilaya frequently sees an annual snowfall of up to 40 centimeters. Flash floods are rare but have recently occurred around the spring and fall seasons. The summer is fairly hot where extreme heat waves are common around the month of July where temperatures can sometimes even reach 40°C.

Back to top Go down
Admin
~
~
Admin

Female Number of posts : 3758
Registration date : 2007-03-22

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setif   Setif Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 am

jazukallah khir sis for sharing inshallah and when you make the move you can become our setif correspondent sunny x
Back to top Go down
um almujahid

Female Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setif   Setif Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 pm

assalamu alaykum

jazakillahu khayran Patricia! I know an italian sister who lived in Setif for a year or something mashaAllah
Back to top Go down
UMMAMATULLAH
v
v

Female Number of posts : 1129
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Allah Knows Best .   Setif Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Asalamualaikum really enjoyed reading your post sister Patricia as my husband is also from Setif and i agree with you in what you say on Setif. BarakAllahufiqi.
Back to top Go down
Patricia
Patricia

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setif   Setif Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 pm

:salamb: dear Sisters

Mash'Allah! Very happy that you liked. I thought I was being quite basic that's why I decided to post the wikipedia bit Razz

Sometimes I wounder if our husbands would know each other or even went to school together!!! Rolling Eyes

There is the new sister from Poland that knows a sister in Poland married with Algerian from Setif as well. Maybe if they are from same age they may know each other!!

What about sisters we try to know this and make a kind of school reunion for our husbands??? :flag:

Just joking!! lol!

Wasalam
Back to top Go down
UMMAMATULLAH
v
v

Female Number of posts : 1129
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Allah Knows Best .   Setif Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Asalamualaikum sisters

which part of Setif is your husband from sister Patricia ? answer only if you feel comfortable and with your husbands permission of course.
Back to top Go down
Patricia
Patricia

Setif Empty
PostSubject: Re: Setif   Setif Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Waleikum Salam sister UmmAmatullah

Will send you a pm Incha Allah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content